How do I join or leave the list or change my subscription settings?
Visit the Gunroom Access and Settings page to find out.
Are there any rules in the Gunroom?
The Gunroom is an unmoderated list, so there are no official rules. There are, however, some guidelines that members are politely asked to consider.
I need to speak to a person - whom can I contact?
If you need help from a person about the e-mail list, send a message to GUNROOM-request[at]HMSSurprise[dot]org.
For suggestions or corrections regarding this website rather than the list, contact Webmaster[at]HMSSurprise[dot]org.
What is the history of the Gunroom?
The Gunroom History page explains the story of the Gunroom.
What is a rolling toast?
The Rolling Toast page by Adam Quinan gives the history of this custom.
Why the "Gunroom" rather than the "Wardroom"?
Don Seltzer has written an explanation of why this isn't the Wardroom of HMSSurprise.org.
What is "the Canon"?
"The Canon" is a Gunroom term referring to the 20 novels in the Aubrey/ Maturin series.
What is a "lissun"?
A "lissun" is any member of this discussion group. Also referred to as "listswain."
What companion books are available?
- Men-Of-War: Life in Nelson's Navy by Patrick O'Brian
- Jack Aubrey Commands: An Historical Companion to the Naval World of Patrick O'Brian by Brian Lavery
- Patrick O'Brian's Navy: The Illustrated Companion to Jack Aubrey's World by Richard O'Neill (Editor)
- Lobscouse and Spotted Dog, Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels by Anne Chotzinoff Grossman and Lisa Grossman
- A Sea of Words by Dean King, John Hattendorf and J. Worth Estes
- Harbors and High Seas by Dean King and John Hattendorf
- The Patrick O'Brian Muster Book: Persons, Animals, Ships and Cannon in the Aubrey-Maturin Sea Novels by lissun Anthony Gary Brown (a previous edition of the book is sometimes referred to in The Gunroom by its acronym PASC)
- Patrick O'Brian: The Making of the Novelist by Nikolai Tolstoy
- Patrick O'Brian: A Life Revealed by Dean King
and about the film:
- The Making of Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World by Tom McGregor, Patrick O'Brian
What is a "Group Read?"
Serious O'Brian fans have launched a concerted effort to read through the entire Patrick O'Brian oevre, discussing one book per month (with minor catch-up allowances as required). We have currently finished, but may begin again.
If you'd like to read our previous groupread discussions, they are archived at http://jfinnera.www1.50megs.com/pob.html and you can click on each book.
This effort follows an inordinately successful groupread of the short stories, which are archived at the same location. If we run a groupread again, please join us at any point. Our only request is that you put "groupread" and an abbreviated title of the book into the header, so our archivist(s) will have an easier time separating out these posts.
What is this book "Clarissa Oakes"? Is it another book in the series?
Clarissa Oakes is the British title for The Truelove (#15).
I like the Aubrey Arms that appears on the home page. Can you tell me more about it? Is it available on merchandise?
For more information on Patrick O'Brian and his work, see the Norton Patrick O'Brian web page.